Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Preliminary report on Germany

Germany is a country in Europe. It is located in central Europe and borders the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Belgium, Poland, Denmark, France, Austria, Luxembourg, and Switzerland1. Germany also borders the Baltic and North seas1. Germany has a total area of 357,022 square kilometers1. Northern Germany is mostly low lands and southern Germany is mountainous2. Germany is made up of 16 different states1. Each state has its own traditions, customs, dialect, and architecture2. The capital of Germany is Berlin1. Germany has a total population of 82.3 million people with about 19% of the population being foreigners2. Germany is a member of the European Union and its currency is the Euro2. The Rhine River in Germany is a major way of transporting goods from northern ports to other areas of Germany along the Rhine River2. The climate in Germany is temperate and marine2. Germany is one of the largest trading nations in the world2.

Germany has a very rich culture. Oktoberfest is a 15 day celebration that started back in 1810 and was initially the celebration for the wedding of Prince Ludwig2. Today, millions of people come to Munich to celebrate Oktoberfest. A popular activity at Oktoberfest is beer drinking. There are over 1300 active breweries in Germany2. Another world famous tradition in Germany is Christmas. For the four weeks leading up to Christmas you can find Christmas markets up all throughout Germany, in most cities and towns2. Soccer is the most popular sport in Germany2. In 2006, Germany hosted the World Cup. Other sports that are gaining interest across the country are hockey and basketball2.

Works Cited

1Central Intelligence Agency. Central Intelligence Agency. September 30, 2009. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/gm.html (accessed October 20, 2009).

2German Missions in the United States. Welcome to Germany.info. http://www.germany.info/vertretung/usa/en/startseite.html (accessed October 20, 2009).

11 comments:

  1. I am very interested in German culture and looking forward to seeing your report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know much hout Hermany before reading this.. looks like it will be a fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cultural part is very interesting to know and I want to know more about their culture. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good information, clear and easy to read. good luck on your first interview

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the part when you gave detail information about the geography of German. It was good to know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a good job in organizing the background information about Germany. I hope we will learn more after the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the information are pretty helpful..........but i'm not sure this much work would be enough

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative report on Germany. It is detailed. You might want to find a little information on the religions or education system.

    ReplyDelete
  9. im excited to hear about Oktoberfest, I hope you asked many questions about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The information you have about Germany is good, but I think you should add some more to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good information and research. I liked that it is clear and cited.

    ReplyDelete